Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Why not everyone is a gardener

I read Bumblebee's Why not everyone is a gardener. Very interesting article. While I agree some of her views, I have some of my owns:

It's just one of the hobby people choose, such as writing blog, photography, reading etc. One might think that spending 30 mins to write/read a blog, or 1 or 2 hours post processing those images you took using RAW format, is wasting time; while your opponent might think spending your weekends in the yard is not worthy at all.

Sometimes I have to agree what Quentin is saying: if you like to do it, you do it.

Except sometimes when I do it, I would like to drag him to do it together also, expecially those planting works. :-)

Quentin DOESN'T like gardening. He prefers sitting on his couch and read his novel books. That's his hobby, and I respect that. He ususally stays inside the house in the first few hours - watch kids do homework, taking turn practice piano, sometimes make lunch. Then he would come out in the last mins and help me out in the yard. Well, except those heavy lifting works, he would help me from start to finish. He for sure has no intesting on those small tasks such as weeding, watering etc.

Why he doesn't like it? Because he doesn't like it. :-)

Mind you, gardening requires lots of work. I ususally spend weekends in the yard doing labor works in Spring time, at least April/May to tidy up the yard, put down compost, mulch, edging etc, while others might go out for sight seeing etc. For what? I figured'ed that I only need to do this 2 months out of 12 months a year. It's well worth it to get my garden ready for summer blooming. And I get such joys from working in the garden.

I like to do it, while some others don't. It's people's choice.

2 comments:

Layanee said...

Hi Cindy: Love the newly prepped Dahlia bed. Don't you just feel so gratified when there is a blank canvas to plant? Where are you gardening? Layanee at Ledge and Gardens

Cindy said...

Hi Ginger, sorry I missed your post.
I'm at zone 5a, MA. I had coupld of Dahlias last year for the first time. Love them! But I didn't dig them up for winters (such un-educational me) and of course, they are were gone.
So here I am, planted them massively, and prepared to dig them up in fall for overwinter. :-)
Love your garden!

Cindy